Monday, July 17, 2006

How am I not myself...?

So what now do we, as agents of the empire, do? At what point can we trace back and connect our culpability to our existence? To understand and to experience the reality of the situation? At what point does the hypothetical, the theoretical, the possible hypostatize itself and intertwine itself in existence and enter into our communal subconscious? When does an idea gain power? How does any idea hold power? Can’t inattention to or ignorance of an idea give it just as much power as if one were to brood and obsess over it for years?

With all the technology and marvel of this modern world there are certain things that we cannot experience directly. I can watch as a rocket reduces the façade of a building, of a home, to nothing but timber and piping; but I cannot smell the smoke of the explosion, or feel the heat in the embers or feel the concusive force of the device. So what does that matter? Does my lack of physicality with the event some how reduce or erode the validity of my observations? Or does the mere knowledge and understanding of an event give me the ability to speak with a voice that has a right to be heard and spoken? At what point may I begin to speak and what point do I stand? Should problems of the state be approached from the standpoint of a citizen of the state? Or as an agent of the state? (Is there a difference?) May one call back upon his heritage and socio-economic status, ethnic status and educational background to formulate a position that weighs with some relevance upon the status quo?

And so…though I may be distanced by the physical I find myself ever more engrossed by the transcendence that technology brings us. No matter what the barrier, or the distance, or the time; we will find the connection that is essentially human, we will find the connection that is essentially us. But now must I ask one more question, one that has been posed before and answered numerous times, and will continue to be querried and responded to, and in this answer, elusive and amorphous, we find ourselves and we find the other. And the deeper we probe the more we find that each is connected and each is one and the same. We are our own nemesis and our own savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home